Monday 15 July 2013

Toledo's Injury...

On Wednesday the 10th I was standing in the field photographing the foals in the sun, Mark was topping the weeds on the tractor, life was good.  Toledo was picking away at leaves, bright eyed and bushy tailed, he was walking about, completely sound in walk... then he turned round and my heart sank.  Big wound to his near hind cannon down to the bone, I think he'd probably done it a few hours previously but it was already drying up in the heat, shit, shit, shit.  I caught Ellie while Mark called the vet.

Lorna came out, stitched him up and we are plowing the antibiotics into him.  Mark got a "light" kicking, in my defence I was still holding the leg while it made contact with him and at least the vet didn't get caught round the head.  At this point, prognosis is poor, infection is a huge risk, maybe 30% chance he'll make it.

Friday, Mark and I change the bandage, I'm worried how we'll get it done, I'm worried how it will look but am pleasantly surprised.  Toledo stands like a dream and wound looks good all be it with a bit of swelling.  Roll on today, Lorna the vet sees the wound and is pleased.  Swelling down, leg looks a normal shape, if we can avoid infection...






4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is looking very good in so short a time.

Unknown said...

Looks good....have some background in an equine vet surgery here in States and have seen many many wounds that looked worse!!! Hopefully it continues to heal and he has no more than a small scar later...

Love the site...I have a mare who is only 12% appaloosa by Selle Francais stallion Bonjour (Kirkes) and from a mare who was a Graustark grandaughter (by Four Ten....Graustark x Eastern Princes by Nasrullah)....she's an eventer and jumper

The Three Muleteers said...

Keeping fingers crossed all will heal well. Thank goodness you found it when you did!

Laura said...

Thanks guys, the wound is looking good, I'm just getting paranoid in a "is that joint puffy" way. Von Wolfstraum, this lad is unusually bred too, by our pure Criollo stallion but out of our Scottish Sports horse mare who is Cruising/Goldhills bred! I found this website the other night - http://stepaheadfarm.com - a must see for the lovers of gruesome wounds!!