Saturday 4 February 2023

Doddie Aid - Week 5

Week five started with a stroll around Roslin Glen, passing Roslin Castle, Rosslyn Chapel, Wallace's cave and the site of what was once Scotland's largest gunpowder mill.  Then after a few days plodding round the local woods and tracks I took another Wednesday off work, I could definitely be on board with a four day working week... We started at the gallery of modern art and did a loop round the dean cemetery and along the water of leith, spotting two of the Antony Gormley "6 Times" cast iron sculptures.  The Dean cemetery is fascinating with the most amazing mix of old, modern, beautifully simple and wildly ornate memorials.  Then after a coffee we headed up Arthur's Seat and across to Crow Hill, it was a bit of a scramble to the top and windy with it, plus I feel I have lemming tendencies so I clung firmly to the trig point and admired the views over Edinburgh, including the castle which is about a mile to the East.  A long lunch on Friday took me wild boar hunting in Butterdean and this time I found the Pictish pig which is based on a stone carving found in Scotland.  I also spotted the "Billy Witch" sculpture, a Cockchafer beetle suspended in the trees.  Just one more David Freedman sculpture to find another day.


























No comments: