Saturday 1 May 2021

Where are we with Covid?

Well, we moved into Tier three on Monday which slightly lifted restrictions, hospitality partially open, non essential shops and travel allowed within Scotland.  Makes no difference to my day to day life but I have had both my hair cut and coloured and my eyebrows done.  We seem to be coming out the second wave (is it the second wave, I'm lost?!) now with UK deaths below thirty every day this week, occasionally in single figures.  Cases are on the up again the Borders but the belief is that the vaccination roll out is having a very positive effect on hospital admissions and deaths.  I got my blue envelope / vaccination call up today and am due to get my first jab next weekend.

Reports coming out of India are sobering, a panel of Indian scientists warned officials in early March of a new and more contagious variant of the coronavirus taking hold in the country but despite the warning the federal government did not seek to impose major restrictions to stop the spread of the virus,  millions of  people attended religious festivals and political rallies in recent weeks.  Hospitals are over whelmed and problems with the supply of oxygen has caused shortages.

With that in mind it seems highly churlish to complain about life here but it is like ground hog day and I am not entirely convinced that working from home is entirely healthy long term.  Walks with colleagues the last two weeks have certainly helped and making an effort not to become a hermit is an ongoing project!

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Yikes. I read about India and it is horrible. We still practice social distancing and masking where we live in the US.
The US has nearly a 1,000 deaths a day still and of course each of our states handle it differently.
Hubby and I have both had our vaccinations but are still being careful. We will stick with being careful.
I am a caregive for my husband so I am not required to be in an office.

I am tired of living much like a hermit though.

Stay save and well.