Saturday 7 January 2023

Doddie Aid - Week 1

I am not normally one for New Years resolutions but the turn of the year seems a good time to give myself a shake up and get moving again.  I signed up for Doddie Aid where you log your exercise for six weeks.  There was only time for a short walk on NYD, Craig turfed me out the car and I did a few miles back along the Pencaitland railway walk, passing the totem poles on my way home.  Two of these wood carvings tell the history of the community, coal mining and market gardening and the third is today's wildlife.  Bright blue skies on the 2nd so a longer walk taking in Threipmuir Reservoir, Harlaw reservoir, Red Moss nature reserve which is a peat bog up to 6m deep in places and skirting round Loganhouse Black Hill to the Green Cleugh path.  The 3rd was my last day off work so I started to investigate the tracks around Winton estate for their suitability for pony hacks, definite possibilities if we can avoid the donkeys of doom...  Finished up the first week with a very soggy stroll around Butterdean woods.  As we were leaving we spotted the wood louse sculptures by David Freedman, there are a further three sculptures in the woods by him including an amazing looking Celtic pig so we will return to hunt them down.











2 comments:

Mo said...

Lot of that on my home turf, the hills and landscape of Royal Deeside takes a lot of beating but the Pentland Hills have a special place in my heart.
Dad and mum are at Threipmuir overlooking Black Hill by Logan Burn where dad did some beating when he was a young man.
An area with very precious family memories.

Laura said...

Just been looking on google maps, next weekend (weather dependent!) I will start at Castlelaw Hill fort and head in from that end, past the reservoirs and round the black hill. I'm highly guilty of not visiting the places on my own doorstep!