Sunday 7 June 2009

Not to be outdone!!

Well I have to say when people say "oh I found the foal in the field in the morning" or "I got to the stables and there it was" I generally think "muppets!"  I wonder if they check their mares and what exactly they were doing, after all, our mares are all supervised...  Errrr until today that is!!  We got to bed about four this morning, having had to call the vet out when Bridget didn't cleanse herself.  A few hours kip later and I checked Tammy before we went to polo and she possibly had the most miniscule amount of wax.  I really peered at her (through my bleary eyes) I poked her bum and I lifted her tail.  I thought, "you won't go to your due date" (the 25th, so eighteen days away) but I never thought she would foal today.  Mark said on the way home from polo (blog post to follow on polo!) "I'm looking forward to my bed tonight" and I laughed and thought, well if we are not sitting up with Tammy but I didn't really think we would have to.

So as we pulled in to the yard I looked over and I could see Tammy standing slightly on her own... (Hmmm) with her tail lifted (Interesting) and afterbirth (arghhhhhh) and a foal (phew) who got up, had a quick drink and cantered over the paddock (relief!!)  So I would just like to say "isn't it wonderful when it goes RIGHT!  Very lucky!  These Criollo foals are amazing - tough and very bold.  So here we have some dire photos of the latest - a bay filly.  Better photos to follow tomorrow.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely foal - seems to know what it's about!