Saturday 29 October 2022

Spotted on my travels (22)

Two sculptures in Loanhead, The Coghorn Sculpure by Andrew Burton which was created as a memorial to the men who died in accidents at the Bilston Glen Colliery and other mining accidents in the community of Loanhead. A small cat originally featured on the tip of the horn, but this was removed by vandals, and is yet to be replaced.  Then the Pit Pony sculpture by Alan Heriot which was commissioned in 1987 as a tribute to the men, women and children (and presumably ponies!) that worked in the mining industry.  




2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Neat finds.

In the US, I recall that they used small mules in the coal mines. I can't imagine a life like that.

Laura said...

Makes sense - lots of power in a small package. I'm not sure this sculpture would have been hugely accurate - I always thought it was more Shetland / Dartmoor types under 12hh used around here.