Saturday 18 February 2023

Keep Moving - Week 7

Doddie Aid is finished but I am trying to walk to keep off the weight while still eating cake.  There is no doubt I am happy to embrace the current trend of self care, wrapping yourself in blanket on the sofa, having the treats, the hot chocolate, the glass of wine...  I think there also has to be thought given to the idea that self love is also kicking your own ass and feeling better for exercise, fresh air and effort, including the days you don't want to!

Sunday saw a loop around the Craigielaw golf course and back round via Aberlady, I had decided I'd treat myself to an ice cream at Margiottas on the way back to the car, only to find, very sadly, the ice cream counter is gone.  Work on Wednesday found me right next to Broadwoodside so I did a different lap at lunch time and saw some more of their sculptures, including my favourite the golden hare.  Thursday was another revisit, back to Butterdean and the last of the David Freedman sculptures was spotted, the Sabre Wasp.  Small'ish and high in the trees it wasn't particularly photogenic, of the four sculptures I am most taken with the woodlice.  We also stopped at Gladsmuir Kirk, tucked away behind the newer church, the kirk is named in the East Lothian witch trials, in 1705 Mr John Bell, minister of Gladsmuir wrote about the "witches mark" and even produced a pamphlet so his parishioners were able to spot a witch in their midst. 

The week was finished with a trip back to the Borders, stopping at the Great Polish map of Scotland which may be the largest terrain relief map in the world.  Originally it had painted forests, urban areas and major roads and running rivers but it was still easy for us to pick out Ben Nevis and the Cairngorms!  We then had a walk along the Tweed in Peebles, taking in Neidpath castle, viaduct and the tunnel.  At nearly half a mile long and completely unlit, it's slightly eery!  





















1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Moving sure is the key to decent health. One of the great reasons I hike so much and enjoy our CrossFit gym.

Keep it up!