Saturday 10 June 2023

Keep Moving - Week 23

Monday we got our steps in walking around the Isle of May.  Wednesday could have been a brilliant photo as Cactus headed out the field for a walk the first time, then thought he'd turn and return, dragging me, all be it still upright, through the nettles.  I didn't do three years of yearling sales where the penalty for letting go was a case of beer and not learn to hold on tight!  Other than that he was quite polite.  

On Thursday I was in Limekilns for work so had a walk along the coast to Charlestown.  The limekilns themselves are the largest set in Scotland and were only closed down in 1956.  It was low tide in the harbour and I was intrigued by the number of derelict boats, a later google informs me this is a big issue in the UK, there is no mandatory registration of details for boats and as they get uneconomic to maintain many are just abandoned causing major environmental issues.  The war memorial sits above the road and is framed by the most amazing bank of sweet peas which will be incredible in another week or two.

Friday I had a stroll along the local railway line and was amazed at home green and lush it had got.  Saturday I headed down to Dalhousie castle and walked the Rhododendron flanked paths along the River South Esk, six miles later with not a soul in sight and not even one dog shite bag spotted.  Photos don't do the grotto justice, it is an amazing quirky building.  Definitely another one for the "hidden gem" list and I'm planning dinner in the dungeon restaurant at a later date.














No comments: